Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Jen told me to blog about her. But I'm not sure what to say. So, I consider this to be enough about her. Hi Jen!

***

I look out the window of my office and it's so clearly spring! The leaves look bigger today than they did yesterday, when they looked bigger than they were on Monday, when they simply were, as I didn't notice them last week.

***

So, there's a new pope. Cardinal Ratzinger (or "Rap singer," as is pronounced in England) is from Bavaria. I can't say that I know anyone particularly excited about his election to the Great Office of God, except that he's from Germany and he's the first German Pope for almost 500 years. Honestly, I don't really know anything about him, but if this quote from Andrew Sullivan is any indication, I think we're lucky he's only a transitional pope:

THE POLITICAL ANALOGY: I was trying to explain last night to a non-Catholic just how dumb-struck many reformist Catholics are by the elevation of Ratzinger. And then I found a way to explain. This is the religious equivalent of having had four terms of George W. Bush only to find that his successor as president is Karl Rove. Get it now?


Lovely.

***

On another political note, Ohio's own (Republican, I might add) Senator George Voinovich helped delay a Senate committee vote to nominate John R. Bolton as the US's UN representative. Way to go, George, for doing something honorable for once!!

Meanwhile, Condi criticizes Russian government TO ITS FACE.

***

Politics is making my stomach turn. I'm going home to read more of my Robbie Williams's authorized biography!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Hi Heather, I am loving spring too. I also quite enjoyed your coining of the phrase Great Office of God. Does he have a big window and a comfy leahter chair? Alo agree that politics is good for inducing stomach-turning. Stammtisch tomorrow! Cranach Hof, 8 pm. Lolle?

Nicole said...

Too true about politics...

I've just lived through the coldest day of the year so far and I can only dream of spring. Wouldn't mind being in the northern hemisphere now :-)