Monday, August 23, 2004

I want my MTV!

I never thought I'd say thanks to MTV for such high-quality programming as Room Raiders, Dismissed, and Pimp My Ride (I'd include Punk'd, but I actually liked that show before I left, so it doesn't count...), but because my television only gets a mere 5 channels (the whole thing only gets 8, but punks out on 3 of them!), they have become a precious source of entertainment for me. Namely because they are in English.

See, the Germans don't dub MTV, probably because it would be too difficult to work in the slang. As it is, the subtitles woefully lack the charm that the original English provides, and I have yet to hear some 'Fo' shizzle my nizzle' auf Deutsch. They do try, as seen in the 'Wow, Mensch' (or, wow, person!) that was recently used in an episode of Pimp My Ride to replace a 'Woah, dude!' But most often the slang is replaced by lame uses of 'Toll' (great!) and 'Mensch' (person!).

Which brings me back to my appreciation of the low-budget reality programming. I know they show 'The Osbournes' over here, but I am curious as to whether or not I will see 'The Newlyweds.' If it does make an appearance, I doubt they can adequately capture the dimension that is Jessica Simpson. Somehow, 'Nick, habe ich Fisch oder Hühn?' just isn't the same...

No comments: