Friday, May 20, 2005

The Döner Kebab

If someone were to ask me what my favorite food in Germany is, I think I would answer the Döner Kebab. I'm going to quote liberally from this Wikipedia entry to explain to you what it's all about!

Today, döner kebab is typically served as a kind of sandwich in pita (flat bread)..... The meat may be lamb, beef or chicken, but never pork. After the BSE crisis (mad cow disease) even fish was used. Generally, there is a choice between a hot sauce, a yoghurt sauce containing garlic and a yoghurt sauce containing herbs. Sometimes goat cheese can be added.


Interestingly enough, although döner kebap "literally means 'rotating roast meat'" in Turkish, the kebap as I know it was invented in Berlin in the 1970s. Awesome!

More interesting facts: "In Germany, döner kebab is far more popular than hamburgers or sausages. Statistically, the Germans consume 200 to 300 metric tons of döner kebab per day. In 1998, they spent about €1.5 billion on döner kebab. " I believe it -- there are three popular döner stands on our main drag alone! It's one of those things I wish I could take back to the States with me, or at least figure out exactly what was what so I could make them for myself :)

Also, a döner keychain!

"I will never force a Turkish person to eat 'Eisbein' [pickled nuckle of pork] instead of Döner Kebab. I also prefer Döner Kebab." -- Otto Schily, German minister of the interior (2003)

Guten Appetit!

***
On a non-Döner related sandwich note, I'm intrigued with the Cuban sandwich, the Monte Cristo sandwich, and the Muffuletta. Man, now I'm hungry! I'll have to satisfy my sandwich-cravings with some tomato slices and Miracle Whip on white bread, which totally reminds me of my grandmother :)



No comments: