Friday, September 30, 2005

Dragostea Din Tei

Last summer, Dragostea Din Tei was one of THE most popular songs on German radio. Originially recorded by a Romanian group called O-Zone in 2003, it was also covered by a Romainian woman who goes by Haiducii. In Germany, both tracks hit numbers 1 and 2 at the same time. That's how rabid Europeans were for this song.

It's a pretty catchy tune, even if you don't understand the lyrics because you don't speak Romanian. And the video is such that you watch it everytime it's on because you a) can't figure out what the hell is going on and b) you aren't sure if the guys are supposed to be gay or if it's just an accident.

Then some boy named Gary Brolsma recorded himself dancing along and the internet world went CRAZY. I don't know anyone who hasn't seen the video.

But then one day after I got home, I turned on the tv and heard it! Hark! Dragostea Din Tei followed me back to the States! Turns out, someone at Disney heard the song and decided to put it on a commerical for Chicken Little, the new Zach Braff animated picture. I don't know if the song will be on the soundtrack, or even in the movie, but I do know that O-Zone will gain some popularity. Maybe their song will hit #1 three years in a row!

Vrei sa pleci dar nu ma, nu ma iei,
Nu ma, nu ma iei, nu ma, nu ma, nu ma iei.
Chipul tau si dragostea din tei,
Mi-amintesc de ochii tai.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember when you pointed out this video to me and all I coudl do was go what the heck????? I think I'm stilling going what the heck. I wil say though their have been several moments in the lab where I hear songs that I wouldn't expect to hear here as I heard them in Germany, lol Oh what is the world coming to...:P ~Pamela