Saturday, January 26, 2008

another recipe from the internet for my notes

2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1/2 jar (24 oz) chunky, mild salsa (you could sub enchilada sauce for either of the tomato products)
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chile peppers (I may double this next time)
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
3 cups chicken broth (I'll reduce this to 1 1/2 cups next time)
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (16 oz) bag frozen corn
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 TBSP fresh cilantro, chopped

Garnish: Fried/baked tortilla strips or crushed corn tortilla chips, mexican blend cheese, fresh cilantro, sour cream (if desired)

Place all items in crockpot. Cook on low for 7-8 hours. About an hour before serving, take chicken breasts out and shred with a fork. Return shredded meat to soup. Remove bay leaf before garnishing.

2 comments:

Bridget said...

This sounds so tasty! If only I had a crockpot..

If you try it out, let me know how it is!

Anonymous said...

a new do? How exciting...when you say Oreo Truffles...or those the Oreo balls my bro told me about? If so...post the recipe now! I want some...they will cause me to gain about 300 lbs but hey...it's winter, I need all the extra warmth I can get!