Congratulations! You've finally decided to embark on the vacation of a lifetime! The Outer Banks (or OBX) is truly an awesome place, and hopefully these tips will make your vacation (and preparation!) unforgettable.
Pack your bag a few days before you leave and promptly remove half your stuff. You won't really wear all the clothes you bring, so save room for the souvenirs. Now is not the time to break in those new sandals or wear your brand-new, all-Lycra wardrobe.
That being said, here are some additional packing tips:
- Those favorite shorts you just discovered and wear everyday? Bring two pair! You will live in those shorts on vacation as well, so you should have a back-up in case of unfortunate mishaps (spilled beverages and lost buttons are just two examples... not that I'm speaking for experience, or anything).
- Your house will probably have a washer and dryer. Anticipate doing at least one load of laundry a day.
- Try to bring as many all-natural fabrics as possible. You'll be on or near the water, so there will be a breeze, but you ARE in North Carolina in the summer, and NC = MUGGY. Bring loose, flowy, comfortable clothes.
- While it does get pretty warm during the day, it can get chill at night, so pack a long-sleeved t-shirt and maybe a hoodie. Or:
- Stop at Wings or Super Wings. It's a total tourist trap/beachy chain store that you can find EVERYWHERE along the beach. They have souvenir beach wear at pretty affordable prices. Who wouldn't love wearing a t-shirt with "Duck, North Carolina" on the front? (Not me --I am wearing mine right now!)
- Bring two bathing suits and beach towels per person, if you plan on visiting the beach. If you're like me, you'll go swimming more than once per day, and I don't know anyone who enjoys trying to shimmy into a cold, damp bathing suit.
It's a wonderful way to spend a week, and the last thing you want to do is worry about your wardrobe. Use these tips to make packing a breeze!