Saturday, January 01, 2011

Today is fresh, with no mistakes in it

(to paraphrase Anne of Green Gables)

It's a new year and a new decade, and it begins the last full year of my twenties. Ordinarily this wouldn't bother me (and really, it doesn't), but I've been in kind of a funk lately in regards to where I am in my life.

As most of you may know, I'm pretty unhappy with where I am at work. My duties at work are changing this year, basically giving me (and everyone else in my position) a lot more responsibility and things to do while keeping me in the same job grade with no additional compensation. This is their way of eliminating a managerial position but still making sure that the work gets done. Lucky me.

Anyway, I am fully capable of doing this extra work. In fact, most of it is stuff that I either know how to do or have been doing for a long time. I'm just not pleased with the fact that I'm pretty much going to be doing a manager's job but still getting paid in pennies.

So, clearly I need to figure out something else to do, but I'm kind of scared to do it. There aren't many jobs around here as it is, since the economy is in the toilet, and I don't really want to be in sales anymore (because yes, in case you didn't know, being a bank teller is really a sales position!). My problem is that I don't really know *what* I want to do, which makes it pretty hard to look for a new job.

On a lighter note, I am going to try to set some goals/resolutions for myself this year. Nothing crazy like "run 4 miles everyday" because I know I would fail before tomorrow, but just a few things to help improve myself.

  • cook dinner at least once a week
  • read one chapter of Les Miserables per day (there are 365 chapters, so this will work out well
  • work on a craft project for at least 2 hours a week
  • upload travel photos to the computer within 2 weeks of getting back from a trip
  • organize the office/craft room
  • send birthday cards


I think these are all things that I can do throughout the year. Nothing is too ridiculous, but they're all things that will help me be in a better place by the end of the year. Do you have any resolutions or goals for 2011?

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

My goal is to lose a pound a week and I know that won't actually happen but if I average half a pound a week I will still be very happy! oh, and exercise more! Happy New Year!