Friday, August 06, 2004

This morning I woke up and outside I could hear "The Reason" by Hoobastank on the radio. I could not escape that song in the US, what made me think I could escape it here?!

One of the most frustrating things about being abroad is not being able to communicate effectively. Obviously, this is going to be a problem as I have not really used my German 100% of the time... ever. Even when I was here before, I had friends who spoke English so I could talk to them in the "Muttersprache" during our down time. But now... I don't know. It is hard to have people talk to you and expect you to comprehend what is going on and you can't. Not from lack of trying, simply because your vocabulary and comprehension skills just aren't as good as theirs are. Yet. Bridget told me to give it a month before things really sink into place. That seems like a long time, especially after these first few days, but it really isn't. It just takes time to get used to it. (At least, that is what I keep telling myself!)

I now know that I am not the only one in my apartment! Last night as I was reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, someone came home. I am not sure who it was, as s/he did not say hello. And this same person was getting ready to leave this morning as I was going to wash my face. Again, no hello. I should ask Bridget who lives across from me, because I found out last night that I am in her room in the apartment! Wicked coincidence, no?

I have the opportunity to go to Berlin tomorrow. I turned it down at first, saying that I have to find the supermarket, but I think I will talk to Frau Busack and see if I can go. I don't have anything else to do, why turn down a free trip to Berlin, especially when it would just be a tag-along with an excursion. I can take the ducks, tag along on the tour, and get some cool shots of Wilbur and Elmer (I think those are their names...) livin' it up in the city!

No comments: