Monday, November 15, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

I really wanted to have some chicken pot pie for dinner tonight...so I made one!

Well, I made half. The crust, though, which is the toughest part. And, if I may say so myself (and I will), it was delicious! I had to make two crusts, one for the top and one for the bottom. I used the same recipe, but tried two different methods of incorporating the butter.

1 1/4 c flour
1 stick butter*
1/4 t salt
2 T ice water

*For the first batch, the butter was frozen and I grated it on a box grater. The second batch, I just cut the cold butter into pieces and mixed it in with a pastry cutter.

Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl. If you use the grated butter, you're supposed to mix it lightly into the flour. Once the butter is tossed/mixed in, add the water (you may need more or less because of humidity) and mix the dough together with a rubber spatula. Once the dough is moist and holds together, form it into a disc and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

I actually preferred the dough with the butter just cut into the dough, not grated. I don't know if that's because it was on the top of the pie or what, but I just liked it more!

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

sounds yummy... you can come cook for me anytime!