Friday, November 12, 2010

Things I've Learned in San Antone, part 1

1. Fresh tortillas = about the best thing in the world. Ever.

2. Fruit salad in November probably isn't something you'd look forward to... but in Texas, the fruit is fresh and juicy and delicious and so so ripe! Cantelope and watermelon around Thanksgiving? Yes, please!

3. Barbacoa (Mexican barbeque) seems like it would be this amazingly tasty delight, but really it's just shredded pot roast. No fancy herbs or spices, just... beef. And the barbacoa that I sampled was very greasy, so that doesn't make me want to try it again.

4. Mariachi bands make me uncomfortable.

Kevin and I visited a bunch of missions yesterday, and now we're headed to the last one on the list. I will do a Mission Wrap-Up tomorrow or Saturday. Then it's off to Salt Lick or Lockhart for some barbeque, driving through the Hill Country, then Austin!

No comments: